The Molecular Graphics Laboratory Forum

AutoDock, AutoLigand, MGLTools, Vina, PyRx and more.
It is currently Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:15 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: blender instalation
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:17 pm 
Micromolar User
Micromolar User

Another thing I forgot: After the installation, I went to Help>Check for Updates, and it says that there are updates. After confirming, it says that they are installed and I should restart it. After the restart, if I check again, it says and does the same thing. Looks like the update is not being applied properly.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:26 pm 
Picomolar User
Picomolar User

about the update,
I am activly working on the next release, thus the version you have, and the one on the website are unstable...this will be fixed in the next week.
Dont bother to check for update for now.

Quote:
Wouldn't it be possible to read the selected file with the long file name, and then ask the user to enter a shorter object name?

well yes that would be ideal, the problem is our molecular parser, when it read a pdb file, it is quite complex to rename it...there is a lot of dependency in the object created.
the turnaround would be to copy the file and rename it before loading it. is this turnaround will be ok for you?

Ludovic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:38 pm 
Micromolar User
Micromolar User

ludo wrote:
about the update,
I am activly working on the next release, thus the version you have, and the one on the website are unstable...this will be fixed in the next week.
Dont bother to check for update for now.

Got it.

Quote:
well yes that would be ideal, the problem is our molecular parser, when it read a pdb file, it is quite complex to rename it...there is a lot of dependency in the object created.
the turnaround would be to copy the file and rename it before loading it. is this turnaround will be ok for you?

Hmm, sounds like it's much more complicated than I thought it'd be. I already used that workaround, and it worked fine, thanks for the suggestion anyway.

GT

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:49 pm 
Picomolar User
Picomolar User

Let me know if you encounter any other problem, I made this standalone version pretty quickly and there is probably some annoying bug here and there...
also if you have some nice rendering or screenshot dont hesitate to post it here, or send me a copy to autin_at_scripps.edu, I will put it in our gallery...

L

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:44 pm 
Picomolar User
Picomolar User

I just update a new version for blender on windows, this one have better performance for grids, and coarse molecular surface...
You can find them here : http://epmv.scripps.edu/installation/epmv_blender_win
or http://mgldev.scripps.edu/projects/ePMV ... dows32.zip

Ludovic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:02 pm 
Micromolar User
Micromolar User

I am also trying to get it going under Ubuntu 10.04 LTS - the Lucid Lynx.

I followed the Linux installation instructions:

Got Blender 64 bit from Synaptic package manager, and it looks like it's installed under /usr/blender/bin although there are files all over the place (/usr/share/blender, /usr/share/locale, /usr/lib/blender, /var/lib/dpkg/info, etc).

Got MGLTools 64 bit from the link on your site, it's installed under /usr/local/MGLTools-1.5.6rc2.

Unzipped ePMV to /usr/local/MGLTools-1.5.6rc2/MGLToolsPckgs and changed the permissiond for /usr/local/MGLTools-1.5.6rc2 with chmod 777 -R

I run Blender, and open /usr/local/MGLTools-1.5.6rc2/MGLToolsPckgs/ePMV/install_plugin.py and run it with Alt+P, it switches to Scripts from Text Editor, but nothing else visible happens. And in the terminal:

Code:
install_plugin.py
/usr/local/MGLTools-1.5.6rc2/MGLToolsPckgs
('MGL', '/usr/local/MGLTools-1.5.6rc2/MGLToolsPckgs')
__main__
/usr/local/MGLTools-1.5.6rc2
init {'title': 'Install ePMV'}

When I close and relaunch Blender, ePMV is NOT under Scripts > System.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:46 pm 
Picomolar User
Picomolar User

Hi,

It look like the installation dialog didnt show up...I just corrected a bug that may be related to this, try using the last version I upload on the website :
from http://epmv.scripps.edu/installation or directly here https://sites.google.com/site/mgltoolse ... ects=0&d=1
Anyway, what doest the installation on Linux :
- copy ePMV/blender/v24/plugin/*.py in .blender/scripts/.
- create a file called "mgltoolsdir" which point to the MGLTools directory, in your case the content of this file will be "/usr/local/MGLTools-1.5.6rc2"

When blender reatart and found the epmv plugin, this one set up the PYTHONPATH to add the MGLToolsPkgs Folder as well as some specfici library in /usr/local/MGLTools-1.5.6rc2/lib
So if you encounter library compatibility it will probably come from the fact that the python used to build blender differ from the one used by MGLTools...

Ludovic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:37 pm 
Micromolar User
Micromolar User

ludo wrote:
- create a file called "mgltoolsdir" which point to the MGLTools directory, in your case the content of this file will be "/usr/local/MGLTools-1.5.6rc2"

Where should this file reside?

Edit: Nevermind, I see that it already exists in .blender/scripts

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:53 pm 
Micromolar User
Micromolar User

the new installation Script ran this time, asking for the installation folder, but it did not work again, displaying other errors. So, I did the installation by following your directions. Now, ePMV shows up in Scripts>System, but this is what I get when I run it:

Code:
/home/gokhan/MGLToolsPckgs
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/home/gokhan/.blender/scripts/epmv_blender_plugin.py", line 88, in <module>
    from ePMV import epmvGui
  File "/usr/local/MGLTools-1.5.6rc2/MGLToolsPckgs/ePMV/epmvGui.py", line 19, in <module>
    from ePMV.APBSCommands import APBSgui
  File "/usr/local/MGLTools-1.5.6rc2/MGLToolsPckgs/ePMV/APBSCommands.py", line 65, in <module>
    from Pmv.mvCommand import MVCommand
  File "/usr/local/MGLTools-1.5.6rc2/MGLToolsPckgs/Pmv/mvCommand.py", line 18, in <module>
    from ViewerFramework.VFCommand import Command, CommandGUI, \
  File "/usr/local/MGLTools-1.5.6rc2/MGLToolsPckgs/ViewerFramework/VFCommand.py", line 39, in <module>
    from DejaVu.Geom import Geom
  File "/usr/local/MGLTools-1.5.6rc2/MGLToolsPckgs/DejaVu/__init__.py", line 198, in <module>
    from Viewer import Viewer
  File "/usr/local/MGLTools-1.5.6rc2/MGLToolsPckgs/DejaVu/Viewer.py", line 50, in <module>
    from DejaVu import viewerConst
ImportError: cannot import name viewerConst

and when I copied /usr/local/MGLTools-1.5.6rc2/MGLToolsPckgs/ to /home/gokhan/MGLToolsPckgs to see what would happen, this is what I get:

Code:
/home/gokhan/MGLToolsPckgs
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/home/gokhan/.blender/scripts/epmv_blender_plugin.py", line 88, in <module>
    from ePMV import epmvGui
  File "/home/gokhan/MGLToolsPckgs/ePMV/epmvGui.py", line 19, in <module>
    from ePMV.APBSCommands import APBSgui
  File "/home/gokhan/MGLToolsPckgs/ePMV/APBSCommands.py", line 54, in <module>
    import Pmw
ImportError: No module named Pmw

so, it's still not working.

Edit: ok, I solved it. In another error message, it was saying it could not find libstdc++.so.5, so I got the package from [url]packages.debian.org/lenny/amd64/libstdc++5/download[/url] and installed it. I also deleted the copied /home/gokhan/MGLToolsPckgs. Now, ePMV runs. Let's see how faster it is than the one in Windows...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:53 pm 
Picomolar User
Picomolar User

I am glad you get it working...
let me know about other problem you encounter...

Ludovic