The Molecular Graphics Laboratory Forum

AutoDock, AutoLigand, MGLTools, Vina, PyRx and more.
It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:36 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: blender instalation
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:12 am 
Millimolar User
Millimolar User

I probably did something wrong but can't pin it down. The problem im encountering looks like in the attachment.

Python is 32bit version.
Blender 2.49b
Windows 7 64bit

Attachments:
problem.jpg
problem.jpg [ 198.71 KiB | Viewed 15800 times ]

Post subject: Re: blender instalation
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:59 pm 
Picomolar User
Picomolar User

Hey,

I encounter the exact same problem today...
I am currently working on another way of distribution...I should have a complete package blender-epmv together as of today or begining of next week.
you will just have to download it, launch blender, and epmv will be here.
This is what I did for blender2.5 on MacOS..I may do the same on windows soon too.

Ludovic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:57 am 
Millimolar User
Millimolar User

I kinda figured it out - it was probably because i had a few other distributions of python installed - 2.5.x and a 64 bit 3.x something. When i unistalled the 64 bit 3.x the instalation proceded, but a diffrent error occured ;). I tried to manually unpack the deptpckgs.tar thing like you suggested to someone else, but that didn't help much. Complete package would be great Looking forward to it ;)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:13 pm 
Millimolar User
Millimolar User

this:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:00 pm 
Picomolar User
Picomolar User

look like there is a internet connection issue to our server...
if you manually get the depdt pckgs, you need to create an empty file named "patched" inside the MGLToolsPckgs directory...this will permit the installation do go throught it easily...
anyway the standalone pack is ready, I will upload it on monday.

Ludovic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:54 am 
Micromolar User
Micromolar User

nomjas wrote:
I probably did something wrong but can't pin it down. The problem im encountering looks like in the attachment.

Python is 32bit version.
Blender 2.49b
Windows 7 64bit

I had exactly the same problem today, as I reported here:

http://www.blender.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=88768#88768

Looking forward to the pre-compiled/installed version.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:25 pm 
Picomolar User
Picomolar User

look like there is some incompatiblity of python version...
I would recommend a clean installation of Python2.6.6 32 bits. If you have a 64bit version uninstall it.
If the python is correclty installed and setup, the installation shouldnt give any problem.
The installer is guessing the MGLToolsPckgs "parent" directory..this means C:\Tools if C:\Tools\MGLToolsPckgs.

the standalone is ready for blender2.48 on windows and Mac
2.58 for Mac (experimental)

You can find them here : http://epmv.scripps.edu/installation/epmv_blender_win

Hopefully you should be able to run it directly, If python is clean.

Let me know

Ludovic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:46 pm 
Micromolar User
Micromolar User

ludo wrote:

I downloaded this and installed it to a Win7 32bit machine, as instructed (Python first, and then unzipped this).

Blender starts with no problems, but when I run ePMV, I get the following error pop-up three times:

Code:
---------------------------
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error!

Program: C:\Users\jacklab\epmv-blender-2.49b-windows32\blender.exe

R6034

An application has made an attempt to load the C runtime library incorrectly.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.

OK   

Another issue is, looks like the current version sticks with the short file name format reminiscent of old DOS days, since I had to rename my files to be able to open them.

Regardless, I could open my PDB as a cartoon model in Blender, and this is great! However, it seems unstable, since it crashed Blender as I was playing with the options in ePMV. Moreover, it looks like when I select an option, it tries to do/apply that immediately, which makes things very slow. If there could be an "IMPORT" button that needs to be clicked once all the preferred options are selected, it may make things much faster.

I am very excited about using ePMV, and I will do my best to provide feedback from an end-user's perspective to make it better. Looking forward to the improved updated versions.

Good luck in your development.

Best,
GT

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:34 pm 
Picomolar User
Picomolar User

Hi,

Quote:
Blender starts with no problems, but when I run ePMV, I get the following error pop-up three times:

Yes this a normal error at startup, we talk about it in our troubleshooting pages.
The good thing is that you get it running right after downloading, and yes the current version is unstable.

Quote:
Another issue is, looks like the current version sticks with the short file name format reminiscent of old DOS days, since I had to rename my files to be able to open them.

This is a blender limitation on length for object name...so I had to limit the pdb filename open.

Quote:
Moreover, it looks like when I select an option, it tries to do/apply that immediately, which makes things very slow. If there could be an "IMPORT" button that needs to be clicked once all the preferred options are selected, it may make things much faster.

Do you mean some kind of Apply button ? It will be possible, about the performance the first time time you check a button ePMV build the geometry, next times the plugin just toggle the display...And you should be aware about the Atom representation issue which is the most time consuming, you should avoid it for large system and prefer molecular surface or point cloud...

Quote:
I am very excited about using ePMV, and I will do my best to provide feedback from an end-user's perspective to make it better. Looking forward to the improved updated versions.

Thanks a lot, every feedback is very welcome! our current version is buggy and in alpha state so we are open to any request and suggestion.

Ludovic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:05 pm 
Micromolar User
Micromolar User

ludo wrote:
Quote:

This is a blender limitation on length for object name...so I had to limit the pdb filename open.

Wouldn't it be possible to read the selected file with the long file name, and then ask the user to enter a shorter object name?