The Molecular Graphics Laboratory Forum

AutoDock, AutoLigand, MGLTools, Vina, PyRx and more.
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:34 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:08 pm 
Millimolar User
Millimolar User

Hi all,
I got the some error (I'll paste it in the end) when I run ePMV inside blender. Information for my environment:

CenOS 5 x86_64
blender-2.49
mgltools_x86_64Linux2_1.5.6

First I extract the tar files to get blender-2.49 and mgltools, then I enter into the directory for mgltools, do ./install.sh and add "source path/to/initMGLtools.sh" into my .bashrc.

I search the error messages online, it seems to be the problem of python compilation with or without the option "--enable-unicode" (http://www.pymolwiki.org/index.php/Cealign in the first part of "Troubleshooting")

The error I got:
ImportError: ~/test/mgltools_x86_64Linux2_1.5.6/lib/python2.5/site-packages/numpy/core/multiarray.so: undefined symbol: _PyUnicodeUCS4_IsWhitespace

please help me!! Thanks a lot.

wenchang

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:53 pm 
Picomolar User
Picomolar User

hi wenchang,

Can you give me more details.
-which version for blender did you install? you need Blender 2.49b, Python 2.5 (19 MB) (64bits)
-when did you get the error ? launch PMV, launching blender and then the epmv plugins ?
-did the installPlugin complain ?

thanks
Ludovic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:10 pm 
Millimolar User
Millimolar User

Thank you, Ludovic.

ludo wrote:
hi wenchang,

Can you give me more details.
-which version for blender did you install? you need Blender 2.49b, Python 2.5 (19 MB) (64bits)

Yes, I installed blender 2.49b (64bits) and mgltools_x86_64Linux2_1.5.6 which includes Python 2.5 (I checked the size of the tar file, which is 23MB not 19MB) already.

-when did you get the error ? launch PMV, launching blender and then the epmv plugins ?

I lauch PMV first without error, then blender and open ePMV plugin inside blender.

-did the installPlugin complain ?

No complain when I installed by ./epmvInstall

thanks
Ludovic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:42 am 
Picomolar User
Picomolar User

hi,

thanks for the details. So the problem is the difference of Python version between blender and MGLTools. I will try to get a linux 64bits to find a solution.
I will check if manually installing numpy will solve the problem. But there is other dependent package in MGLTools...

thanks

Ludovic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:07 pm 
Millimolar User
Millimolar User

Hi,Ludovic
Do you got news from your side about the error? I did one test with a clean account but still I got the error.

Best,
Wenchang

The error I got:
ImportError: ~/test/mgltools_x86_64Linux2_1.5.6/lib/python2.5/site-packages/numpy/core/multiarray.so: undefined symbol: _PyUnicodeUCS4_IsWhitespace

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:44 pm 
Picomolar User
Picomolar User

hi Wenchang,

well I didnt find any solution. Its seems that installing numpy for the python used by the system (the one recognized by blender) fix this problem. But it appear for me that another package was complaining about PyUnicodeCS2...its like a never ending story.
With your clean account you can try to install numpy. And let me know if you get the same second error.

Ludovic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:40 pm 
Picomolar User
Picomolar User

hi Wenchang,

I did test the installation today on 2 different linux 64bits computer (Fedora and DEbian). And I was able to make it working.
Here is what you should do:
launch blender and check which version of python he is using (usually Python2.5.2)
reinstall MGLTools (get the latest archive from http://mgltools.scripps.edu/downloads/n ... 5.6.tar.gz)
follow the easy-install instruction here http://epmv.scripps.edu/installation/easy-installation

let me know if you still get the error. As I dont have it anymore with the latest mgltools release...

Ludovic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:40 pm 
Millimolar User
Millimolar User

Thanks, Ludovic. I did have a test last Friday following your instructions but still unsuccessful with the same error.

I may point out one issue on my side. Since I use CentOS and unfortunately the latest version for python is 2.4 on this operating system. When I run blender, I got error "libpython2.5.so.1.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory". My trick is just install python-2.5.5 and include the python-2.5.5 library into environment $LD_LIBRARY_PATH, then the system can find libpython2.5.so.1.0.

I don't know if this could make a different situation as you have on Fedora and DEbian.

Best,
Wenchang

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:01 pm 
Picomolar User
Picomolar User

hi,

so you did install your own python. Here are some test you can do :
check if your installed python can import numpy:
Code:
python2.5
>>import numpy

Do the same using the python that come with MGLTOOLS
Code:
cd mgltools_i86_64Linux2_1.5.6/bin
./pythonsh
>>import numpy

If all of this is working, and you still get the unicode error in blender. Here is a fix:
Code:
cd mgltools_i86_64Linux2_1.5.6/bin
cp pythonsh blendersh
vim blensersh #or use your editor

once blendersh is open, you have to change the end of the file by replacing this part
Code:
if test $# -gt 0
then
        exec $python $pyflags $@
else
        exec $python $pyflags
fi

By the blender executable:
Code:
BLENDER="/pathToBlender/blender-249/blender" #put here your blender executable
exec $BLENDER -w $@

now try again. The blendersh is file that set the PYTHONPATH and the LD_LIBRARY_PATH. So playing around you should be able to make numpy available in blender. To test the python in blender you can use the Interactive console. You can call it through the scripts windows, under Script->System->Interactive Python Console.

let me know if this help

Ludovic