The Molecular Graphics Laboratory Forum

AutoDock, AutoLigand, MGLTools, Vina, PyRx and more.
It is currently Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:59 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:04 pm 
Millimolar User
Millimolar User

Hey all, I am new to Autodock and Mac software, does anyone know how to install .tar.gz on mac?
I am stock at " mv autodock /usr/local/bin". The terminal does not have that directory :(

I will appreciate a way forward.

thanks..

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:18 am 
Millimolar User
Millimolar User

tar.gz also known as tarball, an archive format for electronic data and software. Most Linux tarball contains a source code for software. If you are new to Linux I recommend using apt-get, rpm and yum command to install all binary packages.

Tarballs are a group of files in one file. Tarball files have the extension .tar.gz, .tgz or .tar.bz2. Most open source software use tarballs to distribute programs/source codes.

1: Uncompress tarball

To uncompress them, execute the following command(s) depending on the extension:
$ tar zxf file.tar.gz
$ tar zxf file.tgz
$ tar jxf file.tar.bz2
$ tar jxf file.tbz2

Now change directory
$ ls
$ cd path-to-software/

2: Build and install software

Generally you need to type 3 commands as follows for building and compiling software:
./configure
make
make install

Where?
./configure will configure the software to ensure your system has the necessary functionality and libraries to successfully compile the package make will compile all the source files into executable binaries. Finally, make install will install the binaries and any supporting files into the appropriate locations.

3: Read INSTALL / README file

Each tarball comes with installation and build instructions. Open INSTALL or README file for more information:

$ vi INSTALL

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:04 pm 
Millimolar User
Millimolar User

Wow! Could this be any harder to install. I've looked and looked and still I can't get this thing to install on Mac OSX 10.7.5

All I get is a command terminal that is logged out... please just make it easier to install, have a mac install tutorial... such a waste of time...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:28 am 
Micromolar User
Micromolar User

I hate to be rude but if you value your time above anything else, why don't you but a click-to-install docking program?
Vina is offered "free" with no obligation to be super easy to use.

No learning experience is a wate of time.

Ps. if I have the time, I'll make the tutorial. It is up to you to google it.

Jeff Romano wrote:
Wow! Could this be any harder to install. I've looked and looked and still I can't get this thing to install on Mac OSX 10.7.5

All I get is a command terminal that is logged out... please just make it easier to install, have a mac install tutorial... such a waste of time...