Hello Sargis!

Python Prescription - Virtual Screening Tool

[PyRx is no longer developed at MGL]

Moderator: sargis

Forum rules
[PyRx is no longer developed at MGL]

Hello Sargis!

Postby sreiling » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:35 am

I just wanted to say, hello, and see how you are doing outside of the release of 0.9.2? I am doing independent work (without being affiliated with a lab) since graduation. I am unable to move, currently, and thus am at a severe disadvantage in gaining post-doc or industry positions in the small-market city in which I reside. Still, I am happy to be doing work within my field, even if it comes inconsistently.

Thank you.
sreiling
Micromolar User
Micromolar User

Re: Hello Sargis!

Postby sargis » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:09 pm

Hello Scott,

Thank you for the message. I'm doing fine outside of the release of 0.9.2. I know how hard it is to find a job when you limit your search location and the field. I have been in the job market recently. It's way better now than it was 4 years ago. Luckily, I'm off the job market currently. I was talking to a recruiter on the phone yesterday and he offered me $500 if I can find him systems administrator or Python programmer. In any case, you can also look for a remote or telecommuting jobs. It takes time, but I'm sure you'll find a suitable position. I have been enjoying the life and stay positive at no matter what life throws at me lately.

Best wishes.
sargis
Picomolar User
Picomolar User

Re: Hello Sargis!

Postby sreiling » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:28 am

Thank you, Sargis! I will also try to remain positive. It's a bit frustrating because there are post docs available around here, but they are very specific in their requirements. There are also entry industry positions available, but I have been rejected from them, presumably because I am overqualified.

It's a no-win situation, for now. However, I am keeping my skills sharp by doing free side-jobs for people when available, picking up extra hours at my mundane job (to pay off grad school debt), and learning C as well as honing my math skills. In other words, I am not complacent, and will make it! :)

Thanks for the advice on telecommuting jobs! I have applied to a few, to no avail. I think those are in very high demand, but I will keep trying. Take care, and talk to you soon.
sreiling
Micromolar User
Micromolar User

Return to PyRx